Testing & Veification of Packages (was RE: Image factoring)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Nov 14 10:46:40 UTC 2002

Steve Gilbert <steven.l.gilbert at lmco.com> wrote:
> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
[SNIP]
> > I agree this would be very nice - Michael has also mailed me about this.
> > The SSTCPW is probably to just add another url called "Download tests
> > url" or something. Optional of course.
>
> I worry about this becoming a separate downloadable item.  It seems that
> Ned is saying that the "option" here is for the author/maintainer to put
> tests in, and not for the user to determine if they get them or not.

I think it was me, not Ned. Whatever.

> If I were maintaining a package and went to the bother of writing tests,
> I wouldn't be keen to provide help until I had some feedback on whether
> the tests had run successfully or not. Some sort of "sanity" level tests
> that ran automatically after installation would seem to be ideal. This
> seems to be the scenario that Ned described in CPANPlus.
>
> The trick would be, to have a mechanism to run a short and unobtrusive
> set of "sanity" tests, and also have the ability to run a longer more
> comprehensive set of "debugging" tests.
>
> Steve Gilbert

Yes, but then you would probably need some mechanism for unloading the
tests too.
If you are building a tight image you might not want anything else in
there that you don't really need.

Anyway, in general I don't like to force stuff on people (if I can avoid
it) - that is the Mantra of SqueakMap being package format agnostic etc.

regards, Göran