Testing & Veification of Packages (was RE: Image factoring)

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Thu Nov 14 16:36:12 UTC 2002

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> cg at cdegroot.com (Cees de Groot) wrote:
>> <goran.hultgren at bluefish.se> said:
[snip]
> You just said "if available" which sounds optional to me! :-)
> My point was that if we can not install a package without its tests
> then...
> Well, it feels a bit weird to me. If I want to produce a minimal image
> those tests are - no matter how nice and secure they make me feel -
> simply baggage during deployment/runtime.
 >
> But sure, if people use SAR and there is an optional convention for
> including tests in there then fine by me. Perhaps somehow the user can
> discard the tests later or choose not to install them when installing
> the sar or whatever?

It seems to me that if the user can remove the tests after testing it
should not be in conflict with the philosophy or implementation of a
minimal image. What if after the conclusion of the test a dialogue was
submitted to the user stating the results of the task. If errors
occurred, requesting the user submit results of tests ala Mozilla or
Ned's MailButton (or whatever it was called. Or even simply email
confirmation of successful testing and user configuration. But have it
user permitted explicitly via button. It could be anonymous or include
email address. Feedback is nice. At this point we could ask the user
whether to "Remove" or "Keep" tests. The user would then be the arbiter
of image size and bloat. This could all be a part of the conclusion of
the installation process. It would also be nice if before initiating the
tests and the finalization process detailed above if we got the user
authorization for the above process. We could simply have a "Start" or
"Begin" button to initiate the above. This way if the user has some
involved activities going on that they do not want to disrupt or disturb
they can either not click "Begin" or pausibly we offer the option to
"Delay Tests" till later. Then re-offer the testing and finalization
process when the choose to use the app/package.

If we offer the later, ie: "Delay Tests" it may be desirable to check
time of install and time of testing. If there is a significant delay we
may need to suggest checking for updated version of app/package. We may
also as a part of the testing determine system configuration. It may
have changed during the delay.

Just some thoughts. All of these issues may have been thought of and
solved before I got this out. ;)

Jimmie Houchin