[ANN][IMPORTANT] Mission statement

Jason Dufair jase at dufair.org
Thu Nov 14 18:44:13 UTC 2002

First - many thanks to Göran, Doug, Ned, Daniel, Craig, Tim for putting
the time and effort into all of this.  Since no one is obviously getting
rich from this, it's clearly a labor of love and it shows.

As far as the name of the new group, I suggest "The Cheese" or even "The
Cheeses"

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:

>We are also aware that Dan Ingalls wants to start tackling the eternal "minimal kernel image holy graal" and since he has already done it more or less - it sounds like he might actually pull it off! This means that the current ongoing move into "package land" will be done on two fronts - from the bottom and up led by Dan and from the top down by... the community! :-)

Does this mean we're going to spin things like the MPEGLib back out into
DLLs/SOs/plugins?  I really like the idea of shipping a tiny kernel and
various DLLs as required.  While I know we've run into problems with
versioning and such on kernel DLLs, I think we could tackle this problem
and still end up with a nicely modular kernel to go along with our
nicely modular (in the generic sense of the word) image.  If this is
true, has anyone considered a mechanism for obtaining kernel modules via
SqueakMap?  I'd be willing to contribute if this is deemed a good idea.

Jason Dufair - jase at dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people:
those who do the work and those who take the credit.
He told me to try to be in the first group;
there was much less competition."
-- Indira Gandhi