Testing & Veification of Packages (was RE: Image factoring)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Nov 14 20:10:30 UTC 2002

Jimmie Houchin <jhouchin at texoma.net> wrote:
[SNIP]
> email address. Feedback is nice. At this point we could ask the user

I agree about that, feedback is nice.

> whether to "Remove" or "Keep" tests. The user would then be the arbiter
> of image size and bloat. This could all be a part of the conclusion of
> the installation process. It would also be nice if before initiating the
> tests and the finalization process detailed above if we got the user
> authorization for the above process. We could simply have a "Start" or
> "Begin" button to initiate the above. This way if the user has some
> involved activities going on that they do not want to disrupt or disturb
> they can either not click "Begin" or pausibly we offer the option to
> "Delay Tests" till later. Then re-offer the testing and finalization
> process when the choose to use the app/package.

Well, I would like to instead say "Install package x, y, z with all
dependencies etc. And when that is done, run all tests available in one
big swoop and if they are all green uninstall those tests."

Right now you can only install one package at a time - but that will
change so we do not want to interact with the user for each package.

And if I have a working image configuration (a given set of package
releases and their load order which will produce the exact same image
every time) that I know is OK then I would also like to build that image
without the tests in it.

> If we offer the later, ie: "Delay Tests" it may be desirable to check
> time of install and time of testing. If there is a significant delay we
> may need to suggest checking for updated version of app/package. We may
> also as a part of the testing determine system configuration. It may
> have changed during the delay.
>
> Just some thoughts. All of these issues may have been thought of and
> solved before I got this out. ;)

Nope! :-) But I am sucking up all good ideas here.

> Jimmie Houchin

regards, Göran