Testing & Veification of Packages (was RE: Image factoring)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Nov 14 21:08:17 UTC 2002

Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
>
> > Can I use SM from a local repository?
> > For example I have all my home computers on a LAN. It would be nice if I
> > could configure my Squeaks to check local repository for said package
> > and if not then proceed to the original location.
>
> I concurr! I usually have a handful of current images I'm using for
> different reasons.  Naturally, a lot of the code between them is pretty
> redunant, and I often file stuff into multiple images (e.g. enhanced IRC
> or the terminal emulator). It would be great if SM could cache locally, so
> when I get the idea to work on some new image when I'm not on the 'net,
> I'll be able to munch the SModules that way.

Yes, this is on the roadmap. Currently there are potential filename
clashes and no cacheing of downloaded/installed packages. That will
change.

Another thing is that currently it is *almost* possible to concurrently
share an SM catalog. What do I mean by this? If you have multiple images
in the same directory they will (if you just do the deault actions) end
up using the same "sm" directory and log-file.

If you then update the map from one image, switch image and then update
again - it will seem to work, but you could potentially get into
problems. An image needs to "synch" with the logfile before loading
updates. I have this code in my development image. Right now you can do
this by running: "SMSqueakMap default reloadLog". Essentially you could
add that line in the proper place I guess and then it would work.

Anyway, being able to work "off line" and to set up a slave mapserver on
a local LAN is all on the roadmap - don't worry. :-) I am even planning
to be able to have "private packages" that are only visible for you or
on your slave mapserver and not globally.

regards, Göran