Helping package maintainers/Guides (was: Re: Testing & Veification of Packages)

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Nov 14 20:31:24 UTC 2002

Yes, this is very important!! don't wait for us to ask for help - anyone
that releases a package can definitely use help testing it. Packages are
usually released by someone that knows best about it, but they don't
know/have access to all platforms, and all Squeak releases.

For example, all the "RB is broken" messages I seem to be ignoring will
be very handy when I get to it (soon - I've had an "interesting" week at
work).

Just find a package you haven't heard any complaints about on the list,
load it, and try to pick it apart. The more time you take to find
detailed information about problems, the more you're helping the
maintainer. Use the "mail bug to mailing list" feature of the debugger
to make detailed reports pretty easily.

If the package was not easy to use, after you figure it out, write a
short manual page on the Swiki, and send a link to the author/list.

If you want the flow of packages to continue, help the maintainers out.
If you make sensible detailed reports/requests, you'll affect what's in
them.

Daniel