[ANN][IMPORTANT] Mission statement

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Nov 15 05:02:08 UTC 2002

On Thursday, November 14, 2002, at 09:13 AM, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
wrote:

> [snip]
> First of all, since Squeak is much about having fun some of us noticed
> that calling this entity the "board" sounds profoundly boring, gives
> the wrong impression (dictatorship) and is simply not in the Squeak
> spirit of naming things. :-)
>
> We have the Harvesters - which is a very good name. And we recently
> coined the Croqueteers for those of us typically getting lost in the
> enchanting world of Croquet. Cees de Groot deftly countered and said
> that the Mouseketeers would be a good name instead of the "board". But
> that could become a problem since it trademarked.

One other problem with the Mouseketeers is that it refers to Disney's
Mickey Mouse Club television show, and since SqC left Disney awhile ago,
that might add confusion.  (Plus, while Mouseketeer is a clever pun on
Musketeer, the reference to the TV show gives it a connotation which is
perhaps a bit *too* cutesy in my mind. :-)  Croqueteers is a rather
clever and elegant sounding name for the Croquet folks, though, with no
connotations.)

> We have been throwing "cool names" at each other but in order for this
> statement to get out we will let the community help us with this.
>
> We want a name that is much more in the Squeakish spirit and somehow
> reflects our values and duties described below etc. After all,
> OpenSource is meant to be fun - not formal and boring!
>
> Here we go - the mission statement for the... well, ok - my best shot
> will have to do for this statement - "The Squeak Guides" (formerly
> known as the "board") :-) :

Here are some other random suggestions that Goran threw out in an
earlier private email:

 > Teamcaptains? Caretakers? Helpers? Samaritans? :-) Volunteers?
 > Sheepdogs? ;-) Guardians?
 > Pilots? Guides? Hey, www.m-w.com is really useful in this.

I'm making these public to encourage more suggestions from the
squeak-dev list. :-)

However, if no one comes up with anything brilliant, I think The Squeak
Guides is the best out of the ones listed above.  It sounded slightly
inappropriate at first, not a name you would normally give to a
board-like group, but I kind of like that aspect of it now that I think
about it more.  It's a rather modest name.

Alright, enough about the name from me, onto the real work...

- Doug Way
   dway at riskmetrics.com