Testing & Veification of Packages (was RE: Image factoring)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Nov 15 08:05:31 UTC 2002

 <goran.hultgren at bluefish.se> said:
>Note also that SM handles "off line" pretty good - the map is in a
>single file and can be loaded directly from it - no need at all to be
>online. So if you have 134 package files then you just need one more
>file to have all the dependency information - the map file.

Well, I'm sorta hoping that this gets unwieldy soon due to the success
of the project ;-). An in-between solution would be to have a 'stripped'
SM format available for download, with just the dependency assertions
(you could probably give packages binary codes for this format so you
have just loads of binary pointers in a compacted file - I guess you
could store all CPAN's dependencies in under a Meg this way).

>And I typically think that dependency management should be handled
>declaratively (not as running scripts inside the packages) as much as
>possible - otherwise we can not have "global" analysis of dependencies
>and conflict detection.

Agreed.

>Yes, this is why a package configuration has a person signing it (well,
>not digital signing - perhaps later). This gives the user the
>possibility of saying "Load package X, latest version being at least at
>beta level, with prereqs recursively and only trust configurations from
>the package maintainers."

Why later? It's not that RSA is exactly *hard* in Smalltalk ;-).
(just kidding, I understand that your SM to-do list is currently
approaching the size where you are considering publishing it in
a two-volume leather-bound format...)

>That would be... 6Mb I think. I am not worried. :-)

Tell that to the IPAQ guys :-)

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo