The Loop, Network rewrites and more (was: RFC - Contents of first Squeak version by Guides)

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri Nov 15 07:42:33 UTC 2002

(Michael - this refers to two recent emails... )

I can't keep you in the loop - there isn't one yet. Your work seems to
be the opening shot - you're the first (preemptive) volunteer on
HTML/URL stuff.

About the general Network stuff, I think you should talk to Craig (since
your work probably interacts somehow with Flow), and propose two, or
preferably one, action plan on what sockets should look like in 3.4/3.5,
and how we get there without messing all the clients up. The more of the
discussion happen on squeak-dev, the better.

On a general note - the best way to make your contributions get into the
image is to get them used and tested by many people that then shout that
they're great.

To get people to use them in the first place, they should come in small
edible chunks.

Small - just posting a fix to SMTP first would make sure it gets the
proper attention.

Edible - The more you make it clear how to use your version instead of
the existing one, the more likely someone will submit a patch to Celeste
to use your infrastructure, the more likely some people will switch to
using and thus testing it, the more likely it goes in the image.

Did this make sense?

Daniel
PS. Interesting. Let's give this a try - "Ok, I propose in 3.4 a million
USD are deposited in my bank account" ;-)