Mission statement

David Faught dave_faught at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 15 15:05:14 UTC 2002

>We have identified 3 basic duties of the Guides:
>
>1. The Guides make sure that decisions are made when
>the community needs to make them. This doesn't mean
>that we make the actual decisions - they are as
>always mostly taken informally on the mailinglists),
>but the Guides should listen carefully, participate
>and act a bit like a "chairman" in a meeting making
>sure that decisions are made in the end and that
>they are recorded somewhere.

This is picky, but we (where I work) would use the
term "facilitator" or "moderator" instead of
"chairman".  The function is as you describe it, but
it has less of an authoritative ring to it, and still
has the idea of loosely guiding a meeting and making
sure that important points are recorded and published.

As for the Guide group name, I'm surprised that no one
has suggested the "Pipers" or some other reference to
the Pied Piper of Hamelin leading the mice ..., oops
they were rats weren't they?.  The Pipers also
suggests something that things are funneled through.

There is a reference to a "nest" of mice, but there
are lots of other animals that use this too.  And what
would you call a member of the nest anyway?  Do the
parent mice have names like goose and gander, cow and
bull, etc?  Does a bull mouse sound right?