Packages (was: Re: DVS Roadmap)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Nov 15 15:42:01 UTC 2002

On Friday 15 November 2002 02:13 am, Cees de Groot wrote:
> Why not use a simple (say) XML/RPC protocol between the local and
> the remote Squeaks? In Germany they say "wenn schon, dann schon",
> which I liberally translate to "use Squeak everywhere if possible
> and feasible" ;-)
>
> I'd rather not mess around with my Apache setup for experiments,

Two comments here:

* XML is hardly simple. I don't want to be tied to having XML in an
image just to be able to communicate with an external repository.
And the amount of code required to support XML/RPC (or SOAP or
whatever) is not trivial.

* Most people don't have their Apache servers set up for XML/RPC.

* Why would XML/RPC (presumably over HTTP) to another Squeak be better
than HTTP PUT or POST to another Squeak?

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com