Packages (was: Re: DVS Roadmap)

tblanchard at mac.com tblanchard at mac.com
Fri Nov 15 16:47:00 UTC 2002

I've had good luck with NextStep classic plist format over the wire.
Its dead simple.

Dictionary is { key = value; key2 = value2; }
List is ( one, two, 3, "four or more\nsecond line", five )
Strings are simple if they are just tokens (no whitespace or
punctuation) or like C-style string literals otherwise.

Combine elements in any combination.  Dead easy to write a parser too
(I have one in java if anyone wants it).  Probably do one in Squeak
pretty soon unless someone can point me to a better serialization
format already there.