about events

Andreas.Raab at gmx.de Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Fri Nov 15 17:08:34 UTC 2002

Hi Chris,

> May I ask the upper Question again. Perhaps you missed it in the last
> days full of giant steps.

I would say so - given that my machine broke down and I'm back to reading
(and writing - argh!!!) email through stupid web browsers and all the flurry of
emails going forth and back and me travelling I certainly missed that one.

> Do we need the Morphic EventHandler or could this be solved with events
> in Objects trigger mechanism ?

Do we need it?! No, we don't need it in a strict sense. However, making
these changes has a large number of implications and judging the impact of such a
change correctly is not exactly trivial.

> I've took a look at both and I would say the trigger mechanism is more
> elegant. Because of the changed interface in 3.4a we could design a new,
> possibly faster Morph for 3.4. Of course that's much work. What do you
> think ?

Well, various thoughts come up here. Speed: It is unlikely that it will make
any significant difference in terms of speed (in fact I would expect it to
be slightly slower). Elegance: Yes, certainly so and more importantly less
concepts to understand (which, for me, is the major point here). Much work: Oh
you bet!

My point of view here is basically that it would be a good thing to change
that mechanism but considering all the other stuff that's going on I'm not
certain if that's a good time to make those changes. Or in other words: Unless
there's someone who really needs it I would leave it alone for now.

Cheers,
  - Andreas