Packages (was: Re: DVS Roadmap)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Nov 15 18:44:20 UTC 2002

On Friday 15 November 2002 10:09 am, Cees de Groot wrote:
> Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> said:
> >Sigh... as soon as I get some extra time I'm going to do a YAML
> > port=20 for Squeak. http://www.yaml.org
>
> Always the same - as soon as I start talking, someone has to start
> coding ;-)
>
> YAML looks cool. But is seems quite a big standard for something
> that aims to be simple (I'm still reading it, but the spec is an
> awfully big download). Is it really easy to implement
> parsing/writing and bindings?

I don't know yet (haven't written it <g>). Writing it should be quite
easy.

Parsing it? Well, the Perl parser is a recursive descent parser with
some Perl cleverness in it. The Ruby parser uses a table-driven
parser generated by Racc (Ruby YACC, kinda). The Python parser is
also recursive descent and looks to be quite clean, though it relies
heavily on regular expressions. (probably time to ping Andrew
Greenberg to see if he has the new version of the REPlugin done...)

I was waiting for the spec to settle down and become final, but it
seems to be solidifying pretty well.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com