Croquet questions and problems

Andreas.Raab at gmx.de Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Fri Nov 15 23:09:49 UTC 2002

Hi Jim,

> * My first time in Croquet World, I beame trapped. I walked up to the
> first window I saw, the "Shared Spaces" project. I clicked on the down
arrow
> to zoom the project out. Now I can't get back. I've tried using "previous
> project" in the world menu of the Shared Spaces project but it does not
> do anything.

For navigating, use the option key with the mouse. If you have a mouse with
more than one button there are utilities which will do the mapping for you.

> * There is a black triangle sticking out of the lower right side of my
> full Squeak screen. Someone has already mentioned that this is my avatar's
> flipper or nose. This is disconcerting reasons. WHen I look in the
> mirror, if I remember correctly I am centered instead of offset from the
> head.

I don't think you remember correctly ;-) The "center" of the camera is the
little cross you see in the mirror (which in fact is the cross you see
centered on the screen). As you may notice in the mirror this cross isn't where the
nose of the penguin is and that's what the "black triangle" is.

> * Whenever I click anywhere not on a portal, I see a popup menu of the
>   names of the portals. Is that intentional?

Depends on what you mean by "intentional" - e.g., there is code that makes
it happen but right now the names don't serve any particular purpose.

> * When I enter the Mars world, I can't click on anything because I see the
>   same popup menu (portal names from my original "world").

That's correct. There simply isn't anything "to click on" yet.

> * I'm in the underwater world. When I click on the shark, I get a walkbalk
>   saying "MessageNot Understood: materialAlpha:"

We know about this.

> * After closing the debugger window in the underwater world (see previous
>   item), the original workspace with the "TeapotMorph startFullScreen"
>   appears on top of the Croquet world (with red text and title, oddly). I
>   tried "send to back" on that window but nothing happens.

You need to close the window - they don't play by the rules trying to
forcefully put themselves in front of everything and not reacting correctly if you
want to send them to the back.

Cheers,
  - Andreas