New update stream (was Re: [Squeakfoundation]Order of business ...)

Roger Vossler rvossler at qwest.net
Sat Nov 16 17:27:51 UTC 2002

Hi Scott,

I would really appreciate it if you, and Squeak Central, take the
responsibility to drive
Squeak 3.4 quickly forward to closure. This would indeed make a nice
end-point for
the SqC sponsored series of releases before the Guides take over. If
this does not
happen, then Squeak 3.2-4956 will become that end-point by default.
Moreover, this
cuts the Mousekeepers a little slack to better organize their excellent
work.

Cheers, Roger.....

On Saturday, Nov 16, 2002, at 00:47 America/Denver, Scott Wallace wrote:

[snip]

> The Guides have the "keys" already, in the sense that no updates are
> being published by SqC without the prior approval of the Guides.
>
> Having said that, I should add that I had been willing and intending
> and expecting to take responsibility to drive Squeak 3.4 quickly
> forward, right the way through to final release within the next month
> --  a "unification" release that could reunite the community; the last
> monolithic image, the last SqC image, a solid basis from which the
> SqueakMap culture could start to form and from which forthcoming image
> refactoring and stripping could start taking place in Squeak 3.5a in a
> matter of weeks.
>
> Indeed, I had been thinking of it as something that SqC *owed* to the
> community, after this difficult year.
>
> This is a lot of work, people -- stressful, exacting, time-consuming,
> uncelebrated, unpaid.  Thus, the sudden prospect of immediate,
> complete freedom from such responsibilities is very enticing.  So I
> accept ;-)
>
> If the preference and mood of the community are for an immediate and
> unconditional and complete hand-over to the Guides, today, right now,
> of responsibility for 3.4 (and for all Squeak versions for that
> matter,) consider it done.  The keys are in the ignition, guys, go
> ahead and drive it off  ;-)

[snip]