Squeak 3.4: should we change to CrLfFileStream as default?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Nov 16 22:51:05 UTC 2002

On Saturday 16 November 2002 02:17 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Ned Konz wrote:
> > > Perhaps CrLfFileStream needs to be renamed more accurately, as
> > > well (as Doug suggested).
> >
> > Something like NativeFileStream or HostFileStream?
> >
> > > Thoughts?
>
> How about folding the functionality into FileStream itself? In
> situations where you want to force specific line endings, you can
> still say so.

Perhaps.

Unfortunately, the implementation of CrLfFileStream still has some
overhead on both reads and writes if it's in binary mode.

It seems like some of this overhead would be unavoidable with a single
class doing it all (i.e. for pretty much every operation you have to
test what kind of read or write translation you needed to do, or
you'd have to delegate to a translator).

I wonder how important this added overhead is to overall performance
(my guess is that it's probably not too important unless you're
writing or reading a character at a time).

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com