How to submit refactorings (or: Removing PWS)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sun Nov 17 05:12:26 UTC 2002

On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 07:57 AM, danielv at netvision.net.il
wrote:

> If think we are in violent agreement then. Lets review -
>
> * Code is refactored to make a complete package that requires no other
> code changes to load/unload.
> * Refactoring is posted for feedback (on list or SM) as needed.
> * When it's acceptable the code is inserted into update stream, so that
> code becomes removable using "remove category" in the simple case or DVS
> if there are class extensions.
> Then (Some unspecified time after the package starts living in SM...)
> * Update is issued that performs the remove, asking the user if he wants
> to reload from SM, or leave his version loaded (in case he has
> modifications).
>
> Comments?
>
> If none and the it's ratified by the Guides, this will become our
> current policy for removing things from the image, and I'll put it on
> the swiki and expand on the details, and we'll do it to PWS first, and
> then
> to whatever we get good unload code for.

Sounds generally good to me.

I also assumed that the update stream would simply remove carved-out
packages (with a confirmation prompt).

But Ned's question about that made me think:  Let's say the update
stream, on the way to 3.4, unloads PWS, Celeste, IRC and Balloon3D.
Does that mean the official 3.4 release image on squeak.org does not
include these items?  Or should we provide this as the (very loosely
termed) "minimal" 3.4 image, and then also provide a "kitchen sink" 3.4
release which includes these items?

In the case of 3.4, maybe these two releases aren't different enough to
bother providing both.  But if we only provide the minimal image, some
people might be confused to see that the 3D demos with Alice & Balloon3D
are no longer already in the image.

People updating their 3.4alpha image all the way to 3.4 should end up
with something equivalent to the 3.4 minimal release (assuming they say
Yes to all the removal confirmations).  I guess this should be fine.

Also, we will probably want some sort of SqueakMap category to indicate
that the Balloon3D package is "blessed" as part of the kitchen sink 3.4
release.  (I guess this was brought up earlier.  Perhaps an SM category
could be "Squeak Central Release" or something like that, to indicate
that the package was part of the original SqC series of releases.)

- Doug Way