How to submit refactorings (or: Removing PWS)

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Sun Nov 17 12:10:08 UTC 2002

Doug Way <dway at riskmetrics.com> wrote:
[SNIP of Daniels step-by-step method for image removal which sounds
good]
> I also assumed that the update stream would simply remove carved-out
> packages (with a confirmation prompt).
>
> But Ned's question about that made me think:  Let's say the update
> stream, on the way to 3.4, unloads PWS, Celeste, IRC and Balloon3D.
> Does that mean the official 3.4 release image on squeak.org does not
> include these items?  Or should we provide this as the (very loosely
> termed) "minimal" 3.4 image, and then also provide a "kitchen sink" 3.4
> release which includes these items?

If we are talking about providing preloaded images then sure, no
problem.
But I think there should be only ONE official 3.4 image. And that one
should be small.

> In the case of 3.4, maybe these two releases aren't different enough to
> bother providing both.  But if we only provide the minimal image, some
> people might be confused to see that the 3D demos with Alice & Balloon3D
> are no longer already in the image.
>
> People updating their 3.4alpha image all the way to 3.4 should end up
> with something equivalent to the 3.4 minimal release (assuming they say
> Yes to all the removal confirmations).  I guess this should be fine.
>
> Also, we will probably want some sort of SqueakMap category to indicate
> that the Balloon3D package is "blessed" as part of the kitchen sink 3.4
> release.  (I guess this was brought up earlier.  Perhaps an SM category
> could be "Squeak Central Release" or something like that, to indicate
> that the package was part of the original SqC series of releases.)
>
> - Doug Way

I agree that we can have a "SqC" category for these packages.
I am also thinking of adding a "Package type" top level category in
which we have at least these two subcategories:

"Package removal"
"Image refactoring"

More?

regards, Göran