Croquet on mac os-9

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Nov 18 03:29:05 UTC 2002

On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 03:27  PM, Andreas.Raab at gmx.de wrote:

>> On Sun, 17 Nov 2002 21:59:56 +0100 (MET) Andreas.Raab at gmx.de wrote:
>>> Hey, what'cha think about helping me a bit to generate plugin stubs
>>> automatically from ffi specs?!
>>
>> Stubs? Don't you mean _real_ code for a plugin to bypass FFI? Or am I
>> missing the point?
>
> No, you're absolutely right - what I'm thinking about is something like
> taking
>
>   <apicall: void 'frobler' (ulong) module: 'foobar'>
>
> and translate it to
>
> FooBarPlugin>>primitiveFrobler
>   | arg1 |
>   arg1 := interpreterProxy positive32BitValueOf: (interpreterProxy
> stackValue: 0).
>   self cCode: 'frobler(arg1)'.
>   interpreterProxy pop: 1.

Ah, well I'm missing the point, how is doing an FFI call less good that
having the code above? Unless of course you
don't want FFI calls, or can't support them. But if you can, then I
feel this is less flexible because it requires effort and
tools etc etc to make changes once cast into a concreted plugin.
===