Balloon3D refactored

David Duke D.Duke at bath.ac.uk
Mon Nov 18 10:55:27 UTC 2002

Andreas,

Andreas.Raab at gmx.de wrote:

> Thought I'd play a bit with DVS and SAR to get an understanding of how it
> works and while there are still a number of little issues it's pretty cool what
> you can do. I spent the day finally fixing some of the remaining issues with
> (re-) loading Balloon3D and since it worked so nicely, you can now get your
> entire B3D enchilada from SqueakMap. Here's how:
>
> * Start a 3.4alpha image (3.2 will NOT work)
> * Load the "Balloon3DRemoval" package from SM.

I tried following this through on my 3.4a image running on linux.  The
removal and (re)installation of Balloon3D seems to work okay.  However,
when I then try to save the image, I get a walkback:

	MessageNotUnderstood: suspendAcceleration
	AnObsoleteAdvancedB3DSceneMorph(Object)>>doesNotUnderStand:
	MessageSend>>value
	etc.

and the environment locks up, i.e. I have to kill it from a second
shell.  I've found two instances of AdvancedB3DSceneMorph, however I
seem unable to remove them directly -- any suggestions?

By the way, at some point -- and I can't find it now -- I thought I saw
that Croquet was built on a modified version of the B3D engine.  If this
is the case, what is the relationship between the refactored version of
Balloon3D, and the graphics support underlying Croquet?  If there are
differences, will there be convergence in the near future?

thanks,
David.