socket synchronization (was "Celeste sending/fetching mail with Michaels refactored clients")

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Nov 19 05:50:59 UTC 2002

The 10ms delay (actually in the Socket code) is a workaround for the
> semaphore timeout seeming to hang occasionally at least on Windows.

>> This windows bug isn't more pronounced than before the refactoring,
>> right? maybe this is resolved by Flow? (my understanding is that it
>> is supposed to replace exactly that lower level, though I might be
>> wrong...).
>
> 	Right. In my testing, using the (modular) primitive interface provided
> by Flow, no delays are necessary on any platform.

I'd rather see the broken windows socket code rewritten/replaced before
inserting odd bits of delay
to work around the issue. Flow is a good idea, and if we are busy
rewriting/refactoring the smalltalk code we
should consider the use of Flow or fix stuff in the lower layer too?

Not only FTP is affected but other applications that make use of high
interrupt rates on a single socket for
two-way communications are broken too on windows.
===