socket synchronization (was "Celeste sending/fetching mail with Michaels refactored clients")

Andreas.Raab at gmx.de Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Tue Nov 19 19:33:19 UTC 2002

Okay, there we go. The first thing I notice is that the test suite is very
slow even on a very fast (100Mbit) connection (for Mike: from inside glab to
glab server). There's clearly a huge inefficiency (bug?!) in SocketStream's
upToAll: implementation which will *always* have to time out unless the server
closes the connection (which - for the ftp control connection - it doesn't).
Given large enough time out values in Socket>>receiveData this might very
well be perceived as "lockup" (and of course, any interruption will indicate
that it is "hanging" in waitForDataUntil:).

But I'll look further.

Cheers,
  - Andreas