[WARNING!]SqueakMap problems

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 19 21:00:42 UTC 2002

cg at cdegroot.com (Cees de Groot) is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Random UUID's are just a cheap cop-out for when you cannot (or are too lazy to
> find out or too shy to ask the user) get the IP address and/or the process ID.
> They should work, because the chance of re-generating the same UUID twice is
> small, but as you have experienced there is no guarantee.
Let's not forget that we do not always have access to IP (or any
suitable ananlogue) nor to process ID (or any suitable analogue).
A system that can survive the lack of one or other would be rather
useful in those cases (think embedded, or no-OS etc).

tim
Logic:   The art of being wrong with confidence...