SAR

Craig Latta craig.latta at netjam.org
Wed Nov 20 05:50:56 UTC 2002

Hi Ned--

> You know, I started out having SARs [be completely self-contained].
>
> But then I was discouraged by some discussion on the list by people
> who thought that wasn't an important feature.

	Wow, I missed that one... I find that feature to be extremely useful.

	I'm just curious... did this discussion take place before or after 12
August, when I released/announced my self-installing thingie? And when
did you start developing SAR?

> Part of the problem, of course, is that you have to do something like
> Craig did to actually find the zip stream (he went up the caller
> stack...).

	What's the problem?

> ...the code to do the installs would have to be added to each SAR,
> and can't be compressed itself (it has to be vanilla Smalltalk code).

	Is it big enough to matter?

> However, since most SARs will be appearing in SqueakMap, it seems like
> we should probably just install the SARInstaller stuff (it's small,
> anyway) along with SqueakMap.

	I still like the idea of having an installer that's completely
self-contained (or rather, it only depends on parts of the system which
are decades old :).

-C

--
Craig Latta