Internationalization and MenuItemMorph ?

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Wed Nov 20 16:21:10 UTC 2002

Hello,

I write a little piece of code to explore the possibilities of
translating MenuItemMorph in other languages.
I choose a translation word by word by using a Dictionary, and add
the possibility to do an exact translation. (see the method class
translateEnglishToFrench: in MenuItemMorph)
Why ?
Because for a lot of examples, a translation word by word fits our
need, for instance : "inspect class" gives in french "inspecter classe".
So we have only to specify : 'inspect' -> 'inspecter' and
'class' -> 'classe'.
But for several examples, it's impossible. For instance :
'previous project' gives 'projet précédent'. The adjective is after
the noun in french... Maybe we can imagine an implementation of
translateEnglishToFrench/Deutsch... with some basic rules of grammar.

I'm not sure that it's a good choice of implementation, but I give
this piece of code to start a debate around menus internationalization
(I quicly look at the implementation of etoys item translation, but it
seems to be an exact translation : I think that squeak can do
something smarter...).

By the way, it's impossible to translate "window" by "fenêtre" because of
the lack of "ê" (^ is bound to up arrow :-( )

If you play with it, you will see a problem due to the use of
copyReplaceAll. I let you discover it ;-)

Regards

Samir

--
Samir SAIDANI