Internationalization and MenuItemMorph ?

Samir Saidani saidani at info.unicaen.fr
Wed Nov 20 19:17:05 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> writes:

>> I'm not sure that it's a good choice of implementation, but I give
>> this piece of code to start a debate around menus
>> internationalization (I quicly look at the implementation of etoys
>> item translation, but it seems to be an exact translation : I think
>> that squeak can do something smarter...).
>
> The internationalization work that's already been done in Vocabulary
> uses phrase translation, as I recall. What smarter strategy can you
> think of?

I thought about an implementation of translateEnglishToFrench/Deutsch
with some basic rules of grammar. (for instance, 'previous project' ->
previous is an adjective, project is a noun, in english ADJ+NOUN, and
in french, generally NOUN+ADJ.

>> By the way, it's impossible to translate "window" by "fenêtre"
>> because of the lack of "ê" (^ is bound to up arrow :-( )
>
> Not really; Squeak has ê, I just don't remember how to type it on my
> keyboard. On keyboards with a numeric keyboard, you can probably use
> the Alt-144 or Alt-0144 (I don't have a numeric keyboard). Note that
> Squeak does *not* use ISO8859-1 for its character encoding.

In linux or windows ? Alt 144 doesn't work in a workspace.

--
Samir SAIDANI
PhD in CS / Doctorant en informatique 		web : http://www.info.unicaen.fr/~saidani