[Q] ChangeSet Browser -- class shape changes and collision detect ion

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Wed Nov 20 23:44:34 UTC 2002

Hi Folks.

I was looking over some of the changes that came in between 3.2 and 3.4alpha
and I got to thinking about the class shape changes.  Currently, if the
class definition changed, the ChangeSet Browser merely says: "Class
definition was changed."  Unless I'm mistaken, and I could very well be,
there is no indication of *what* changed in the class definition.  [
:::Chris makes a frowny face::: ]  Am I the only one who is perplexed by
this?  I would think that it is very important to see both when and *how* a
particular class changed.  Especially in light of the recent flurry of work
that some of you are doing to build plug-and-play features from the
SqueakMap.

If the class definition changes are available, then it is not obvious to the
common folk (i.e. I can't see it & I'm not a newbie).

Will you please elaborate on this for us all?

Thanks so much!  :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a somewhat related topic, I'm wondering if any of you fine Squeakers have
built any shape comparison tools that can auto-detect class shape changes at
file-in time and warn the unsuspecting user that (Doh!) the incoming file-in
will be changing your classes?  I would think that in some cases, the class
shape change could result in some funky objects -- i.e. sometimes a
conversion script will be required.

I'm sure this is an old problem that has been faced many times, but with all
of the recent SqueakMap work happening, I would think that we will want some
smart auto-collision-detection systems in our file-in mechanism.

Thanks for your thoughts & time.  :-)

---==> Chris