Can I play a .MP3 with Squeak?

Joshua 'Schwa' Gargus schwa at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 21 02:10:39 UTC 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:27:19PM +1300, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> My wife is interested in pipe organs, and some of the sites I've
> come across describing particular ones have short .mp3 files for
> download.  Can I play these in Squeak?  How?
> (System: Squeak 3.2 on MacOS 8.6 on a G3.)

Why yes, of course :-)

Select "objects (o)" from the World menu, click "Multimedia",
and tear off an MPEGPlayer morph.  On it, click "Open", and
select your .mp3 file.

There is also a package called SqueakAmp on SqueakMap (each
looks like a typo of the other :-)  that is a bit more featureful.

Joshua