monticello

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Thu Nov 21 02:52:00 UTC 2002

After giving monticello a quick test drive, it does seem like VersionNumber
would be a nice fit.  It would allow you to have the option of branching the
development of a package.  Right now it seems that monticello forces you
into reconciling differences.  It would also fit nicely into your repository
file naming conventions.

It was nice to see that when I had 2 images connected to the same repository
and I tried to commit 2 different versions of the same package that
Monticello detected that situation (when I committed in the second image)
and forced me to update before it would allow me to commit changes.  Then,
when updating, it showed me the differences in the versions of the packages.

It would be great to use VersionNumber to allow branching, but still give a
warning message and confirm whether or not the user would like to a) update
from the repository (as Monticello does now and avoid a branch) or b) commit
a branch version of the package.  In my experience there is a real need for
branching support.  It typically happens following a major release where you
need to issue minor updates while simultaneously moving the product forward
for the next major feature release.

- Stephen