DVS (thanks!) & SqueakMap thoughts

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Thu Nov 21 10:33:12 UTC 2002

"Stephen Pair" <spair at acm.org> wrote:
[SNIP]
> On top of this, I've been creating little chunk files (that I call bundles)
> that have a list of change sets and package files to load.  This allows me
> to file-in one file to load an entire configuration of change sets and
> packages.  When I get my HDD back, I can post an example.  It might be nice
> to build some simple SqueakMap support for this.  People can post bundles of
> packages/change sets that they've tested and know to work (or at least
> load).  If a particular change set or package changes on SqueakMap, then any
> "bundles" that load that change set or package could be marked invalid until
> the maintainer of that bundle re-validates the bundle (or updates it).  Just
> a thought.

This sounds like the "load script" I outlined in my "SM future" posting.

> Also, can SAR handle a change set preload and DVS package in a single file?
> Sorry to ask, but I don't have a Squeak setup handy at the moment to check
> this for myself.

Yep, AFAIK. Just let the preamble inside the SAR do the work.

> When I release the Chango VM, the BerkeleyDB plugin, the Chango database,
> the next iteration of Kats, it's probably going to consist of 15-20
> different packages and probably 3-4 different bundles.  It would be nice to
> make these bundles available for install directly from SqueakMap.

Take a look at the new "Package type" category I added the other day.
Post a .st.gz package (with category "Dynamic load script") that simply
uses SqueakMap to install the other packages like for example:

SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates.
SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: 'yadda'

...or with a version check (then categorize it as "Static load script"):

SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates.
(SMSqueakMap default cardWithNameBeginning: 'yadda') currentVersion =
'1.0'
	ifFalse:[self error: 'Oops, Yadda is invalid.'].
SMSqueakMap default installPackageNamed: 'yadda'

(Card and package are the same, I haven't renamed it everywhere, perhaps
SMCard should be called SMPackage, I don't know...)

I know that the API isn't really clean right now but I will clean it up
for the next release.

> - Stephen

regards, Göran