SqueakMap & monticello feature requests

Stephen Pair spair at acm.org
Thu Nov 21 12:10:40 UTC 2002

First, an easy one...I'd like the ability to browse the code of certain
packages on SqueakMap (could just do the easy ones like change sets and *.st
packages first)...it would be a little more difficult for SARs, but
shouldn't be impossible.

Now for a more elaborate request involving SqueakMap and Monticello...what I
would like in Monticello is the ability to assign a version string to a
package (but still have the auto-generated version numbers).  Then I'd like
the ability to directly export a package version to another repository.
And, I possibly might want to be able to organize repositories in a
hierachical fashion and have a "promote" capability that would simply export
a package version to the "parent repository" in the hierarchy.  The version
string would enable me to correlate versions in multiple repositories (since
the internal version number would not match up).  Package versions would
have to have a version string before they are allowed to be exported.  Once
a package has been exported to another repository, its version string would
become immutable (in both repositories).

Then, I'd like SqueakMap to be able to register a package that resides in a
Monticello repository and have SqueakMap (server or client, whichever works
best) be able to communicate with the repository to pull version
information, etc for the package.

This of course then implies that there needs to be some measure of security
in Monticello that would allow read-only access but restrict update access.

Why do I want these things?

So that I can have a local repository on my laptop for my packages, have a
shared private repository for projects that I'm working on with other
people, and have a public respository for published projects accessible
through SqueakMap.

As I work, I'll create versions in my local repository.  I'll occassionally
publish versions to the shared repository, and when ready, I'll finally push
versions out to the public repository.

Perhaps a simply hierarchy of repositories would not be
sufficient...instead, I might want to simply be able to "link" repositories
(and name the repositories) and be able to "push" packages between them.
The linking would serve no other purpose than to make it simple to "right
click a package version, and 'push' it to one of a list of linked
repositories".

- Stephen