DVS Bootstrapping (was: Loading PackageInfo failed)

Derek Brans brans at nerdonawire.com
Thu Nov 21 23:47:45 UTC 2002

Avi,
That worked.  Thanks.
This is something you've probably thought about a lot more than I have:
couldn't you have some bootstrap object in DVS that told DVS to remove
itself from the image (minus the bootstrap object) and then filed in a
.st file for the new version?

Derek

On Thursday, November 21, 2002, at 03:32 PM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2002, Derek Brans wrote:
>
>> I'm running 3.2 with DVS 1.39.  I want to install SARBuilder (requires
>> DVS 1.58).
>>
>> So I start with PackageInfo.  The load failed.  Do I have to remove DVS
>> 1.39 first?  If so, is there a changeset that does this?
>
> I'd try this:
>
> - evaluate "Utilities breakDependents" in a Workspace.
> - Remove all of the "Packages-..." system categories.
> - Bring in the new DVS.
>
> You may also need to fix up subclasses of PackageInfo you have around.
>
> Unfortunately, you've run into a bootstrapping problem - DVS lets you
> cleanly upgrade other packages, but it has trouble cleanly upgrading
> itself :).
>
> Avi

Nerd on a Wire: Web and Information Solutions
Website Design - Database Systems - Site Hosting
604.874.6463
mailto:info at nerdonawire.com
For more information, visit http://nerdonawire.com