Internationalization and MenuItemMorph ?

Torge.Husfeldt Torge.Husfeldt at gmx.de
Thu Nov 21 14:18:51 UTC 2002

Hi,
Am 20.11.2002 20:17:05 schrieb Samir Saidani <saidani at info.unicaen.fr>:

>Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> writes:
>
>>> I'm not sure that it's a good choice of implementation, but I give
>>> this piece of code to start a debate around menus
>>> internationalization (I quicly look at the implementation of etoys
>>> item translation, but it seems to be an exact translation : I think
>>> that squeak can do something smarter...).
>>
>> The internationalization work that's already been done in Vocabulary
>> uses phrase translation, as I recall. What smarter strategy can you
>> think of?
>
>I thought about an implementation of translateEnglishToFrench/Deutsch
>with some basic rules of grammar. (for instance, 'previous project' ->
>previous is an adjective, project is a noun, in english ADJ+NOUN, and
>in french, generally NOUN+ADJ.
>

>>> By the way, it's impossible to translate "window" by "fenêtre"
>>> because of the lack of "ê" (^ is bound to up arrow :-( )
Just use a keyborad driver with dead character support,
you will need it for typing in french characters anyway.
Squeak supports these dead characters _right_now_ (at least on windows,
can't test on linux right now but remember talking about that on the list,
maybe even sending a changeSet 'daedCharacterSupport-th' or so...)
so all you have to do is hit the up arrow ($^) and then the $e character
and you should see a $ê - what's the porblem.