taking 3.4a to beta

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Thu Nov 21 18:50:29 UTC 2002

Friends,

My sense is that 3.4a can now reasonably be thought of as
feature-complete and pretty darned robust, so it would seem that we
are right on track for releasing 3.4/final before the end of the year.

Therefore, I suggest we carry 3.4 forward into beta as soon as is practicable.

When the version code advances to Squeak3.4beta, how will that affect
SqueakMap users right now?

If a package is registered for 3.4alpha, then presumably we would
also like it to be considered available for 3.4beta as well, without
requiring the package owner to re-register it.  (And the same issue
will very quickly arise again as we advance to gamma and then to
"final" 3.4.)

So is the SqueakMap-related corpus comfortable with this transition,
or is a little more tweaking required?  Do you want to maintain an
*ability* for a package to assert that it works, for example, in
3.4alpha but *not* in 3.4beta?

AFAIK this is the only issue possibly standing in the way of moving
forward into beta right away.

Cheers,

   -- Scott