Behavior of Shift+arrow

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Fri Nov 22 06:39:54 UTC 2002

On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 10:02 AM, Joern Eyrich wrote:

> Hi Torge,
>
> "Torge.Husfeldt" wrote:
>> Do you think this would be a good candidate for putting on
>> SqueakMap?
>
> I'd rather put it into the update stream.
> I see SqueakMap more as a place for complete well-defined unloadable
> packages, while this is a *change* to a subset of ...whatever... well,
> it's basically ... all over the place (Graphics-Text, ST80-Support,
> Kernel-ST80 Remnants, ST80-Pluggable Views, Morphic-Text Support)
>
>> Do you find the code helpful
>
> Definitely! I always get bitten by the default selection regime.
> I haven't used it extensively, however (I didn't have time to test it
> when you first posted it, and was only reminded of it yesterday when I
> saw that mail by Markus)

I just wanted to offer some words of encouragement to this enhancement.
The current default shift-arrow behavior seems like poor interaction
design to me (in addition to being different from pretty much every
other text editor out there).  The current behavior makes it too easy to
accidentally go one character too far, which means you have to start the
selection all over again.  Ugh.

If we adopt this enhancement at some point, I'd prefer to turn on
#selectionMayShrink by default.  (Or maybe not even bother with the
preference and simply remove the current behavior.  Although I suppose
it's conceivable that someone out there actually prefers the current
behavior. :-) )

#wordStyleCursorMovement could be off by default, I could see either
mode being useful.  (This is basically text-editor versus word-processor
cursor movement.)

This changeset touches a lot of methods, though, so it would need to be
tested a bit before incorporating.  (If 3.4 ends up being a quick
release cycle, maybe it should wait until 3.5alpha.)

- Doug Way