Can I play a .MP3 with Squeak?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 22 22:45:32 UTC 2002

> John M McIntosh wrote:
>>
>> Of course thinking further on this it seems we really need a call to
>> check for the existence of a plugin, or at
>> the point we fail to load the plugin mm I wonder if in <primitive:
>> 'primitiveMPEG3EndOfAudio' module:'Mpeg3Plugin'>
>> one could recompile them all and do a sanity check and invoke better
>> feedback if the module or api name does not exist.
>> Tossing an exception comes to mind versus the rather meager
>> primtiveFail logic we have now

You can get pretty close to this right now in two ways:-
a) in a plugin you can implement an explicit 'am I installed ok' prims
- several seem to do this already.
b) in plugin-prim call failure code youcould check the result of
'Smalltalk listLoadedModules' for the name of the plugin. If it's not
there, it didn't load.