[Squeakfoundation]re: releasing SqueakMap

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Sat Nov 23 21:24:28 UTC 2002

At 7:38 PM -0500 11/21/02, Doug Way wrote:

>Scott, since you are helping us with the 3.4 release this time
>around, feel free to chime in with your thoughts as well.

I suggest we consider 3.4 "code complete" right now and move it into
beta this weekend.

I anticipate a short beta cycle, since there are very few known bugs.

In mid-December I anticipate the first 3.4gamma *image* build -- this
will be code-identical to the final 3.4beta.  This -- with its help
windows and its sample projects -- will evolve into the actual
release image.

Historically, it takes several gamma cycles to iron out all the
kinks.  However, unless anyone wishes to undertake it, I don't think
that a makeover of the existing sample projects should be on our
agenda.  Indeed, they have received only minimal attention since 3.0
nearly two years ago.

Barring misadventure, I still anticipate that we could build and
release the final Squeak 3.4 image by the end of December.

Known bugs to be addressed in beta:

*  There is the http issue that Ned has recently raised an alarm
about (or is this now fixed by something Michael has sent out?)

*  Ned has pointed out that there are quite a few defects in
MacFileDirectory -- I'm not certain how many of them have always been
present and how many are fresh in 3.4a because of code ported from
3.3a that never got much of a workout there and may be buggy.
Perhaps Ned can circulate a list of the problems he has noticed.

Are there other known bugs in 3.4a?   (Bugs that already existed in
3.2 shouldn't really count ;-)

Cheers,

   -- Scott