Grady Booch: "My absolute favorite language is Smalltalk. I wish it had survived."

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sun Nov 24 16:37:09 UTC 2002

On Sunday 24 November 2002 06:44 am, Andreas Kuckartz wrote:
> SD: Is there a language that you turn to time and again?
>
> Grady Booch: [...] My absolute favorite language is Smalltalk. I
> wish it had survived.

Spoken by someone whose company has dropped support for Smalltalk in
their flagship UML editor product (Rational Rose). The Smalltalk
support they'd had in prior versions was done by The Object People
(as I recall).

My impression of Rational overall (after talking with Grady and with
Jim Rumbaugh at OOPSLA '97) is that they're coming from a C++
background, and have to sell to the Java people as well. They also
support VB and Ada. Smalltalk just doesn't register.

Rumbaugh, for instance, had never heard of the concept of "class
extensions". And, of course, UML gives no way to represent them. The
UML package contains classes only (no loose methods).

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com