Sample network server code

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Nov 25 21:17:45 UTC 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Markus Fritsche wrote:

> Avi Bryant said:
>
> >> If I do not enter anything, an error is raised:
>
> > Interesting.  I don't see that timeout on linux (well, I left it for a
> > couple of minutes anyway, without a problem).
>
> On W2k, 10 sec. after the last input the error is raised.

I vaguely remember having a similar problem at one point on linux.
Looking through the code, I see that in REPLServer>>read, I poll every
100ms to see if there's data, rather than just blocking on the socket -
which I'm pretty sure was meant to fix exactly the problem you're having.
Is that code in the version you're using?

Ok, and SocketStream>>pvtGetData uses Socket>>getDataQuicker, which
has a timeout of, hey, 10sec.  What would be the accepted way of getting
SocketStream to block indefinitely instead?