A big teacher wish

Roel Wuyts roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Nov 27 10:32:07 UTC 2002

I like the idea, but not these names, they are way to generic.
Especially the 'knows' is really too much, and it is also a form of
sharing (it just has a different scope). So maybe something like this?

On Wednesday, November 27, 2002, at 10:31 AM, Stephane Ducasse wrote:

> The more I play with the idea the more I like it
>
>> Morph
>>     subclass: #MyMorph
>>     has: ' myTarget lastTime '
>>     share: ' CloseBoxImage '
>>     knows: ' Colors '
>>     category: 'Morphic-Samples'!
>
> Have you any experience related to possible problems student could
> have.
>

> On mardi, novembre 26, 2002, at 11:14  pm, Alejandro F. Reimondo wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am not a teacher, but... I would love to rename:
>>     instanceVariables ---> parts (of an instance)
>>     classVariables    ---> parts (of the class)
>>     sharedVariables ---> shared objects
>>
>> Because they are not "variables", they are
>>  only "names" of well known objects.
>> I think they are not variables, because the named
>>  object is replaced entirely by other (like a focus change)
>>  and do not change "in-memory" as occurs in memory
>>  dependent languages (assignment is a name change,
>>  not a variable overwrite... it is a very important thing
>>  to teach).
>>
>> Variables refer to a position, an area that can change contents.
>> So, you can associate a type/size to a variable.
>> Objects does not know about their "material" support,
>>  they only know another named objects and names
>>  are used to focus during message send.
>>
>> A class definition message can be specified as:
>>
>> Morph
>>     subclass: #MyMorph
>>      parts: ' myTarget lastTime '
>>      share: ' CloseBoxImage '
>>      pools: ' Colors '
>>      category: 'Morphic-Samples'!
>>
>> MyMorph class parts: ' defaultInstance '!
>>
>> or...
>>

>> MyMorph class parts: ' defaultInstance '!
>>
>> We have part names (aka internal collaborator),
>>  and global names in a rich set of global scopes
>>  (local context names, instance parts names,
>>  class-scope shared names, global names,
>>   pool names, outerScope names [in foreign
>>   namespace], ... ).
>> Always names, only names
>>
>> cheers,
>> Ale.

Roel Wuyts                                                   Software
Composition Group
roel.wuyts at iam.unibe.ch                       University of Bern,
Switzerland
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~wuyts/