Recent Morphic/Alice changes?

Bill Schwab schwabw at sprynet.com
Thu Nov 28 03:24:42 UTC 2002

Hello all,

I grabbed the most recent 3.4 alpha and loaded my code into it.
There is a noticeable slow-down in my Alice-based experiments,
which seems to be most severe as new objects are added to the
wonderland.  I'm using Alice as a retained mode engine, with the
camera controls and script editor hidden.

The visual feedback offered by PluggableButtonMorph seems to be
spread over more time than in 3.2.  That lead me to look at
framerates.  Absent a running wonderland, the frame rate (in 3.4a)
on my P4 at home is being reported as roughly 470 frames per
second???? That's vs. 45 fps or so in 3.2.  Is that real, or is it just
a bug in the frame rate morph?  With the wonderland, frame rates
are reported as 25-40 fps vs. similar ranges in 3.2, though there's
more of a penalty for doing certain things in 3.4a.

I did _not uninstall/reinstall Balloon3D.  Should I have done so?  I
used SM to install a few things, including the RB and Connectors.

Comments/suggestions?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
bills at anest4.anest.ufl.edu