A big teacher wish

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Thu Nov 28 16:15:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:51:37 +0100, "Hernan Galante"
<galanteh at smalltalking.net> wrote:

> Morph	subclass: #BioMorph
> 	objectKnowledge: ' myTarget lastTime '
> 	classMembersKnowledge: ' CloseBoxImage '
> 	dictionaryOfVocableKnows: 'Colors '
> 	category: 'Morphic-Samples'!

Sorry, I'm going to have to agree with Richard here -- instance variable
names are just that. They are not what the object "knows", they are the
names of the variables that instances have.

In the example above, 'myTarget' is not the name of another object. It is a
morph's private local name for a reference to that object.

Smalltalk has variables -- regardless of the fact that they are not
first-class objects, they still exist. Pretending they don't exist is a
mistake in my opinion.

Later,
Jon