Recent Morphic/Alice changes?

Bill Schwab schwabw at sprynet.com
Thu Nov 28 20:09:53 UTC 2002

Andreas,

A little profiling confirms your suspicion: it's full gc's.  It even
(especially!!!<g>) explains a pause from something that does not
create new objects.

There is good and bad in this for me.  The good new is that I don't
need the affected application.  It's an old game concept that I
revived as a test of Squeak.  The bad news is that this is a
situation in which lack of performance equates to lack of
functionality.  With the current perfomance hits, I doubt the game
would be playable.  I realize that I could bypass Alice, but then I'd
end up with my own buggy version of WonderlandActor.

I would not argue for removal of essential gc's from the class
builder, but is there a way to refactor Alice so the classes would
not be necessary, and therefore would not need to be recompiled?
The only other thing that comes to mind would be to allow bundles
of activity so that multiple changes could be followed by one full gc
at the end of block.  But, I think it would be better to elminate the
dependence on creating new classes, or to find another fix of the
classbuilder that does not require the gc's.

Thanks!

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
bills at anest4.anest.ufl.edu