[Update] Faure 0.3 (Play release)

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Fri Nov 29 12:39:02 UTC 2002

Russell Allen wrote:

> The scribble pad definately needs to be multipage; it also needs to be
> saved by default (at the moment you will lose the scribble if you quit
> the image).  How to save these things most effectively I'm not sure;
> maybe magma or minnestore...

My first thought was a book morph. But it needs more indexing
capabilities
as one will add stuff possibly over many years.
This need some carefull thinking...

> Handwriting recognition is a biggie.  I haven't tried out genie yet; so
> I can't comment.  I'll have a look at it though.  My goal would be a
> system that wasn't so damn modal as Palm/WinCE - I hate having to either
> write in a special place or to switch into a 'keyboard mode' to write
> anything.

This is my impression, too. I have not used either palm nor win ce but
extensivly but there has to be a better way.

> If genie works the way I suspect it would, then there will be problems
> with an after-the-fact recognition of letters in a saved bitmap.  Most
> character recognition stuff I know of uses pen stroke info - you'd
> either have to save the strokes, or use a dedicated OCR program.

Storing this info should not be so hard. A morphs path can be stored
as array of points. But I really don't now anything about character
recognition so all I can do is speculate.

Karl