70 packages on SqueakMap!

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Sat Nov 30 17:26:25 UTC 2002

On Saturday, November 30, 2002, at 04:36 AM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand what you expect Goran to add - load scripts
> are there. People can write load scripts, right now, that first load
> SAR, and then load their favorite package.
>
> Anyone can do this, even for packages he just uses.

True.  But I thought that in Goran's earlier message he said that he
might add a load script to replace the "SqueakMap" package so that it
loaded a separate "SqueakMap base" package and then also SARInstaller.
Which would mean that SAR is always installed with the SqueakMap
bootstrap (at least until configurations are supported).

I think that would be simpler than requiring all package owners who use
the SAR format to have a special load script to install SARInstaller,
since SAR is emerging as a somewhat standard way to handle multi-file
installs.  (Assuming it's relatively simple for Goran to add this.  If
not, then let's not worry about it... this is only an issue until
configurations are supported.)

> I think it's important to let Goran finish his refactoring adding
> versions without distraction, because that is the basis for letting
> anyone create configuration. And nobody else can do that.

Agreed.

- Doug Way