70 packages on SqueakMap!

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Sat Nov 30 21:04:28 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 30 November 2002 09:26 am, Doug Way wrote:
> > I think that would be simpler than requiring all package owners who
> > use the SAR format to have a special load script to install
> > SARInstaller
>
> The problem with this is back to the "self-installing archive"
> problem: we'd then need to put that script in the front of the SAR,
> and it would have to crawl up the stack contexts to find the stream,
> etc.
>
> I think a better strategy would be just to notify the user when no
> installer is available. Which would go along with the "better error
> reporting" that we want for SM loading in general.

I think that these two steps are good to do (will find time for it
tomorrow):

1. Get 1.05 out with the small amount of current buglets fixed. And if
Ned has improvements to the current "installation scheme" and its more
or less nonexistent error feedback to the user then I gladly receive
changesets ASAP. :-)

2. At the same time rename "SqueakMap" to "SqueakMap base" and post a
load script called "SqueakMap" and let that install the good-to-have
installers like SAR.

Hopefully this will give us a somewhat working SM until I get my 1.1
out. The other day I hacked a lot on it and refactored like crazy. It is
moving along fine but it will take some time...

Btw - if someone could help me out with writing some more on minnow
about howto make a package etc, it would really help. I would of course
help out reading it through etc!

regards, Göran