SqueakMap 5:th release!

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Oct 2 20:53:43 UTC 2002

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Hultgren?= <goran.hultgren at bluefish.se> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Just released SqueakMap with some nice/cool additions:
> http://anakin.bluefish.se:8000/gohu/11
>
> Don't miss the additional fix I threw up there too. Daniel - I have not
> integrated you Loader yet
That's okay, the nice thing about packages IMO is that they *can* be
interdependent without being one huge integrated ball of mud... let
them.

> - but this release should be interesting for you (a
> number of the things we have been talking about are now reality).
Yup, I saw, I liked, I integrated :-)

> I haven't updated the entry in SqueakMap itself yet though because this release
> contains some fairly new code that I haven't had time to bang my keyboard on. :-)
Well, you should, otherwise upgrading versions doesn't work. OTOH, maybe
that's what you want...

> - A new button has appeared in SMSqueakMapBrowser called "fast install package".
> It has a menu (ripped off) similar to the "new morph..." menu. You simply select
> the package you want and bam, there you go! Can't get any faster than that!
> (need to add some "Cursor sleep" stuff there...)
I like the way it clusters names. I think that's a much better way to
cluster long menus than what is used in the World menu>open>file...
thing (also used adding attachments in Celeste). We should switch to
using that more often.

[SqueakMap current-version information and upgrading]
Unfortunately, this doesn't work too hot with optional version fields. I
propose to either make versions mandatory (nahh...) or automatically
substitute a server based time stamp when a version is missing. Or
always?

This also makes versionLabels less meaningful. Currently, for JDepper,
#versionLable -> (->) if it is uninstalled. It would be better if there
was always something on the right, and always something on the left if
the package is installed. Which would automatically happen if time
stamps were used when needed.

Probably the time stamps should be quite short, though, or it'll make a
mess. (04aug02 is pretty complete, unambigous on both sides sides of the
atlantic, and pretty short).

> Currently it shows installable packages (packages that some installer says it
> can install), installed packages and upgradeable packages. Any choice tries to
> install the latest version of that package - even if it is already installed.
> Rather neat. The label between parentheses shows installed and/or available version.
In SMLoader you can show a list of packages that are either uninstalled
or upgradable (this will probably be my default view, since it seems the
most useful, and I allow the composition of filters).

> Now I am off to Greece! Will be back on monday.
Good release, I liked many things.

About the installers and handling of existing changesets -
a. It would be nice to have the option of reusing the same changeset (by
leaving the name unchanged).
b. Design wise, I think a tool class should probably not refer to
FillInTheBlank. It should definitely not default to raising a GUI
dialog, because that makes it un-reusable from other tools. It could,
for example, raise an exception, and let the GUI set policy by catching
it. A decorator could be used to set policy without knowing about the
exception.

I'll post my updated SMLoader up for review soon. This time I'll add a
SqueakMap entry :-)

While I'm at it, about the package registration form - can you please either
hide mail addresses or not make the mandatory, or something similarly
protective of our privacy?
Thanks.

> regards, Gšran

Daniel Vainsencher