Reminder: Ottawa Carleton Smalltalk Users Group meeting Oct 3

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Oct 2 23:27:29 UTC 2002

Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
	There are RealPC and VirtualPC for mac. Both simulate hardware and you
	can install Windows on top of that. But then we are talking lot's of money,
	low performance etc. but I guess it's possible.

I'm looking at that Gov/Edu web page for FWB RealPC v1.1.
The page bears a 2002 date, claims support for DOS, Windows 3.1,
Windows 95, and Windows 98, and lists an *educational* price of
USD 24.95, with an extra USD 10 if you buy a CD.
The International commercial price is given in Euros, and it
is only 34.99 of those small kangaroo-like creatures.

http://www.macobserver.com/reviews/realpc.shtml
has a date of 4 November 1997.  They were not pleased with the speed,
but Macs have got a lot faster since then.

So "low performance" may be fair comment, but
"lot's (sic.) of money" certainly isn't, unless you mean the price
for the Windows software itself.

As for Connectix VirtualPC, it comes with your choice of Windows
version already installed, at full prices ranging from USD 149 to
USD 199.  They claim to support MacOS X, which is something FWB
don't claim for RealPC.  I've never used the product, but this is
again not "lot's (sic.) of money".  You _do_ need a fair bit of
memory; if you haven't got 192MB for your OS X box, forget it.

See http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc5m.html