SqueakOS

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Oct 3 16:38:06 UTC 2002

I recall at last year's OOPSLA Ian was showing off a squeak image that
he was
booting via open firmware.  Basically he was using open firmware on an
apple
powerbook to load a VM and an image instead of a commerical/opensource
Operating system.

I believe by use of some of the open firmware drives
(disk/network/video) he was able to manage
quite a bit without having to write drivers etc.

If someone really really needs this they should ask Ian for a copy I'd
guess.

Looked like a good way to do kioks software and not worry about OS
issues.

On Thursday, October 3, 2002, at 08:50  AM, JohnMaloney at earthlink.net
wrote:

> Re:
>> And of course, this wonderful code is buried somewhere to never be
>> used
>> again. The wonders of propietary closed source software. Interval has
>> donated some things, but if they didn't want to use a RTOS Squeak,
>> what
>> makes them think someone else ever will? ( Why hold on to dead project
>> code? No one is gonna buy it! Set it free! ).

===